If you have recently returned from holiday, you will now be longing to hold out that holiday feeling for as long as possible. You worked hard on your tanning throughout the holiday and now you want to preserve it for as long as possible as evidence that you did manage to visit a place where summer actually exists! This week, we thought we would talk about our top 5 tips on how to prolong your tan.
- Always take cool showers. If you like your shower so hot that you convert the bathroom into a sauna after each dip, it’s not good news for your tan unfortunately. Cooler water when showering will keep your skin hydrated and therefore prolong your tan just that little bit longer.
- Exfoliate with care. Exfoliating should be part of your weekly skincare routine. Frequent exfoliation eliminates dead skin cells, making space for the newer ones to regenerate. If you are exposed to more sunshine, this practice will allow for gradual tanning to take place and will also reduce the risk of patchy peeling which leaves the skin looking irritated and sore.
When purchasing a scrub, look for a natural exfoliant with moisture-enhancing properties. We love this Exotic Frangipani and Monoi Salt Glow Body Scrub from Elemis. The mineral rich salts cleanse and exfoliate the skin, whilst an infusion of exotic Tahitian Monoi Oil and Frangipani Flowers seal in moisture and leave your skin feeling fragranced throughout the day.
- Consider consuming more Beta-Carotene. You most likely heard this when you were younger and remember the distant memory of your mum telling you that “eating your carrots will help you see in the dark”. Now, whilst we cannot tell you if this is true, I can tell you that it will help your skin maintain a healthy glow as it prevents ageing by acting as an antioxidant. You can find this vitamin in foods such as carrots, kale, sweet potato and pumpkin amongst others.
- Moisturise, Moisturise, Moisturise! This is key and probably the most important tip out there. There’s nothing worse than peeling skin. Not only is it itchy, it also doesn’t look so great! So, finding a good moisturiser will help keep your skin hydrated and restore any skin cells that were damaged in the tanning process. Our pick for moisture comes from the Sweet Orchid range by Elemis.
- Drink water. “It’s not just about what you put onto your body, it’s also about what you put into it”. Never has there been a more true saying, by keeping yourself hydrated, you are also hydrating your skin. After hours in the sun, you can become dehydrated very quickly causing everything from sunstroke to dry skin. Keep a bottle by you during the day, no excuses valid!
Remember, you only get one chance with your skin, so make sure you take good care of it.
You can now buy your favourite Elemis products on our online beauty store. When you spend over £100 on products, you can choose a luxury Elemis Gift set. Visit our online shop now by clicking here.